Mid-year exams are around the corner and we often find ourselves facing the challenge of not having enough focus and/or energy. Luckily, there are various things we can do to improve our ability to manage what could otherwise be quite a stressful time. Here are a few handy tips to get and keep you ahead of the pack mentally:
- Be kind to yourself and start early enough so that you don’t have to cramp everything into a few days. Utilise both your short term and long term memory. This should not only keep your stress levels at a manageable level but also benefit you when it comes to the next exam where the same information is required.
- Eat healthily and increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids. They are necessary for human health, but the body can’t make them. You have to get them through food or supplementation. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut, other seafood including algae and krill, some plants, and nut oils. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development.
- While studying, take 10 minute breaks on the hour, every hour. Take a stroll in the garden or do something that does not involve eye strain or focus. Not only will your eyes benefit from it but you should find it much easier to concentrate again after a short break.
- Utilise hot beverages to your advantage. The caffeine contained in coffee and tea (not Rooibos Tea) should assist with increased, short term focus and energy. However, don’t overdo it. More than 4 cups a day is not recommended and don’t take it too late in the afternoon since it might then influence your sleep negatively.
- Exercise more often. This is not only a good habit for everyday life, but is crucial
while studying for exams. It acts as a mechanism for stress release that could result in increased mental clarity and assists with the release of endorphins that will make you feel more positive and able to focus.
- Use energy supplements such as Turbovite® G-Whiz. It is formulated with active ingredients that can give you the mental support you need in times when concentration and clarity of mind is of the utmost importance. It contains Panax
ginseng and Ginkgo biloba, two ancient herbal remedies, traditionally used for improving memory, alertness and concentration. B-Complex vitamins are associated with the maintenance of healthy nerve functions and general well-being.
Wishing you all the best with your exams and stay mentally Turbocharged with Turbovite!